3.08.2010

Out with the old...

DIY
DIY
DIY
DIY
After picking up crappy plastic alphabet magnets off the kitchen floor for the billionth time, I had a brainstorm. My father-in-law cut these wood pieces for me a couple of years ago and they've just been kicking around in our garage. We already had black paint and magnets, so I went to our local craft store, picked up some alphabet stickers...and tada!!! New alphabet magnets! They're much stronger (no more meltdowns over things not sticking to the fridge) and look a hell of a lot better than the other magnets. I think the photo tutorial is pretty self-explanatory, but here are directions just in case:
You'll need:
paint (I used acrylic craft paint)
paint brush
26 wood pieces (mine were each about 1 inch thick)
26 magnets (smaller than diameter of twigs)
alphabet stickers (make sure letters fit on twigs)
glue (I used superglue)

1. cut 26 wood pieces from a twig (or be like me and have someone do it for you). You may want to let the twigs sit for a while to dry.
2. get small alphabet stickers and stick them to the twigs.
3. paint over the stickers (the stickers will act as a resist).
4. remove the stickers and discard.
5. glue a magnet to the back of each twig.
6. let glue dry.
7. hang magnets on a magnetic surface.

20 comments:

Kickcan and Conkers said...

Look great!

Karla said...

I love this - what a great idea! Thanks for posting!

Rose said...

This is a fantastic idea!

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

delightful! Thanks for sharing...

Tara said...

You are so eco-crafty chic! Great tutorial - endless possibilities. Love it!

Please check out my Eco-Clean How-To Week coming soon (Mar. 20th) for all kinds of eco excitement to kick-off the dreaded Spring Clean!

Best,
Tara
Art is Vital. Love is Vital. Shopping is Vital.
http://elanvitalanthology.blogspot.com

Meghan said...

Abbey, this is great. We have to fix the giant magnet board in the studio, but when we do these will surely have to be made!

jill said...

These are fantastic!

laurie in georgia said...

Sooooooo cool...can't wait to give it a try! Our fridge alphabet is missing some essential consonants, so this will fit the bill perfectly. Thanks for the tutorial!

handmade charlotte said...

really nice.....great job

Mrs North said...

Very coool!

lilla a said...

So much prettier than the plastic ones!

Tiffany said...

Adorable....your fridge must be very pleased!

♥ Tiffany Patterson

Katie Runnels said...

These are so Great!! I hate it when I surrender to rage over our mess of unwieldy and weak magnets! You and your dad could sell these by the dozens!xo

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

Love these lots! Sounds like you had a restful birthday!!!

Cat Sitter in the City said...

This is a fantastic idea. I really love these!

bribriMX said...

super joli
merci du tuto

Citizen K said...

I love this project! Thanks for sharing - I had to "pin" it to my pinterest.

Connie said...

This is such a creative project! Thanks so much for sharing. I posted about it on my blog today: http://www.daydreamincolor.com/?p=162

M Violetta said...

BRILLIANT!!! Thanks

a happy wanderer said...

these are beautiful! great idea :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...