2.02.2010

Poster size...


I've mentioned making poster-sized prints here, here, and here. Clearly, I'm obsessed. Here's the poster hanging in our bedroom. I found the embroidered bird piece at a thrift store (see the original hanging in my studio below) and, of course, thought the back was more interesting than the front. I scanned it and had it printed as a giant poster. I had intended to use it in my thesis exhibition but never did, so now it's hanging in our bedroom. That wavy thing going on is just from the camera, btw. My favorite thing about it is how huge the stitches are.

6 comments:

compulsively compiled said...

I love it! I'd love to hear more about your thesis. Have you already shared with us what the topic is?

Anonymous said...

Is that just push pinned into the wall or is there a frame? In person, do *you* find that neat enough looking? I myself wanted to do a blown up series (like 9 prints, 3 high and 3 wide) of some pictures I've taken with a zumi camera that are very black in the background... but what keeps me back is the price of 9 poster frames! But if you think it's acceptable without frames than I may give it a try!?
Also when you blew up the scan did Snapfish (or whatever printer you used) make a fuss about the quality not being good enough to blow up? And did you blow it up anyway?
Mary Beth

Paulette said...

What a great idea this is. i love that in the poster u can see the actual stitches really close up.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Mary Beth,
It is just tacked to the wall with push pins around all of the edges. I do find it neat enough looking. we used clear push pins and they almost disappear.
I was in grad school at the time, so I had it blown up at the university art dept print service. You could look at your local university or just tell snapfish not to make a fuss about the print quality. Staples or Kinkos could do this also. Good luck!
:) Abbey

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

My thesis (post here) was basically about domesticity and navigating new motherhood from a feminist perspective. Kind of dry stuff. :) Luckily I'll never have to write a huge paper again.

sosser said...

a very clever transformation - i am just crazy for this idea :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...