I'm not normally a fan of dark woodwork, but our apartment in Buffalo (above) primarily had dark wood and I ended up loving it. I was going through my 'home inspiration' files on our computer and almost all of the photos I've gathered are of homes with painted white woodwork though. Here are the only two images I saved (both from Design*Sponge) with dark woodwork. I especially love the image directly below.

Which do you prefer...dark or light? Have you seen any photos of houses with dark wood work that you like?


cheryl.andrey said...

My fiance and I just moved into an apartment with all dark woodwork. I didn't love it at first, but it's growing on me. I do wish we were able to paint to tone down the contrast between the woodwork and the white walls though. Oh, the renter's life.

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

I loved your apartment in Buffalo. The wood seemed just right with the white walls. Somehow it made all the artwork seem that much richer.

In general though, I prefer white. It's so clean and crisp. I actually secretly love that most of our woodwork was painted white when we moved in, although I know that many people would want to strip it.

Vicki @ Piccolo Takes All said...

Haha. Funny you should ask, but YOUR previous home was my prime example/inspiration for a home with unpainted woodwork!

My style has been tending more towards modern in the past few years (since we purchased our c.1915 house), and I'm trying to figure out how to reconcile it with my existing home.

It can be frustrating sometimes trying to work with dark trim...Sometimes I want to just paint it all white. It would be SO much easier. Like you said, 99% of the images in magazines/design sites have white/painted trim (unless you're looking specifically at period Arts and Crafts or Victorian sources).

But then I tell myself that I have to let the house be what it is. I shouldn't try to make it into something else. After all, we only have dark trim in the living and dining rooms (although all doors in the house are unpainted).

Nicole Balch (Making it Lovely/Pink Loves Brown) has figured out how to make it work with her own aesthetic. Although, her look is a tad too feminine for me. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinklovesbrown/sets/

I saved this image from a D*S sneak peek from July 17th:
That warm grey paint works surprisingly well with the woodwork.

In this set (Philly represent, yo!), I particularly like the vestibule and bathroom:

I thought I had another one, but I can't find it. Sorry to take up so much space!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions!

Caroline said...

I prefer light wood in our home only because our rooms are on the small side and we do not have very high ceilings. But, if you had a home with high ceilings and lots of light then I think dark wood would work wonderfully.

Vicki @ Piccolo Takes All said...

I finally found the other example I had been thinking of today!

Check out this flickr set:

I think I can say that I love EVERYTHING about this house. And I have a feeling that you just might like it too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...