8.13.2009

Collected...



Love this odd collection of cigarettes that I found via pinkshirtsandcarwrecks. It belongs to JP of amassblog and I found his post about this collection quite interesting:

this collection is truly the oddest i own: cigarettes. a few dozen cigarettes frozen in time in glass tubes. it appears these cigarettes date from 1900 to the 1920’s but i’m not completely sure. i was and still am intrigued by this, yet another of my “collections of a collection.” brands include benson & hedges, raleigh, tareyton, doublets, english ovals and there is even spud imperial. not sure if that brand would sell today. i love the careful way that the collector housed his collection by cutting the cork and adding a little red ribbon so as to retrieve the cigarette if necessary. each cigarette has such wonderful typography. sometimes the type runs the length of the cigarette. phillips morris’ logo is rendered in a stippled typeface. luckily, it seems interesting typography can be found anywhere.

The red ribbons are such a great visual element. I think they make the collection much more interesting.

2 comments:

Mim Smith Faro said...

At first I was thinking, "why would anyone collect cigarettes?" But then I read how the collector collected this pre-collected collection ( I wanted to see how many times I could use collect! ) and thought, now that's pretty cool!

angela hardison said...

Amass is my current favorite blog; such an interesting person with great stories. I loved this cigarette collection and also his collection of walking sticks/canes... and all the other ones too, haha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...