11.20.2008

It's a wash...



I'm finishing a paper, so I'll be back tomorrow with the weekly Collected post. Instead I leave you with this interesting reverse graffiti project today. The artist created stencils and then power-washed the dirt off a tunnel in San Francisco. Great idea! Here's a little blurb from the project site:
Standing in one of the moss and dirt covered tunnels in Leeds, England, Paul Curtis, "Moose" as he calls himself, saw marks on the wall where the shoulders of unsteady drunks and the fingertips of curious children had exposed the shiny white tile. And with only a pair of socks as his tool, reverse graffiti was born.
No paint. No defacing. Moose makes his art by cleaning; removing the ills of dirt and pollution by de-defacing- wiping away dirt into large type and shapes, leaving nothing behind but a beautiful work of "green art."
For the past ten years, Moose has been working to perfect his craft. More recently, his skill and notoriety have led to the creation of commissioned pieces as well.
Moose enjoys creating 'legal graffiti' although at times has been in the press for being a vandal. But no one has ever been able to make a case against him because as he says, "No one owns the dirt."


*NOTE: I love the idea of this project, but I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that it was sponsored by a major corporation.  Just putting that out there.

7 comments:

sarahelizabeth said...

What a great idea!

susan heggestad said...

Awesome post - I am going to HAVE to show this to my drawing and art appreciation students...

Miss Kate said...

Heck, I don't mind that he was able to convince a major corporation to spend money on art. How often does that kind of good partnership happen? As long as they don't try to make him start putting LG or target logos in the pictures.

A Beautiful Party said...

i love the graffiti idea!
i left an award for you at my blog. swing by when you get a chance to pick it up.

seth said...

very, very clever.

Jen Bradford said...

Nice... I ran with your link and posted on my blog also, with some variation. Thanks Abbey!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

:) There actually is a logo, which is why I'm conflicted about it. Greenworks is part of clorox. I still love it, but I wish the logo wasn't there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...