10.18.2008

PSA...


On Friday morning we kept EZ E home from school because he had a fever and, in general, wasn't feeling well. PRH had meetings all day, so he headed off to work while EZ E and I went to the pediatricians and then came home and settled into the day. He was taking a nap on the floor in our living room, woke up, went completely rigid, and then had a seizure that lasted for about 1 minute. He's never had one before and I had no idea what was happening, so I called 911 (screaming and screaming)...both the Buffalo fire department and ambulance were here within minutes (thank you!). It turns out that he had what's called a febrile seizure. I've never heard of them before, but apparently they're quite common among young children and sometimes occur when they have a moderate to high fever. I was absolutely terrified and I'm writing this post to help spread the word...they are hereditary, so at the very least ask your families if there's ever been a history of febrile seizures. I also encourage you to take a few minutes to read more about them here. He's doing much better today, playing, laughing, and eating...and we're a bit calmer today too. We're going to be lazy for the rest of the weekend and I'll see you all on Monday. Have a happy and safe weekend.

*image by Dan Tobin Smith as seen on swiss miss.

10 comments:

Mim Smith Faro said...

Oh how scary! Glad to read that everything is okay.

joAnn said...

oh, god. I can't imagine he feeling! glad to hear all is "well"

what a wonderful photo!

ladylulu said...

Thank you so much for sharing your new found information. I hope EZ-E feels better quickly and that you recoup from rattled nerves.

shanna murray said...

oh my gosh abbey! so glad to hear he's ok! jesus. i can't even imagine. sending you hugs!

electropositive said...

I'm happy to hear EZ (and you too) are doing better, you had us scared there for a minute!

Hope things get back to 100% normal soon!

sarahelizabeth said...

I know how scary it is to witness a seizure, my fiance has epilepsy and had a 5 minute seizure in front of me once...it's hard to remain calm!! I'm glad your little one is doing better now :)

A Beautiful Party said...

wishing you all the best!

Joetta said...

so glad all is ok. hug.

C. said...

Thank you so much for letting us all know about this - I'd never heard of it before either.

So glad EZ E and the fam are doing good now. ;)

Abbey Goes Design Scouting said...

My husband had a seizure last October and it was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me so I am SO empathetic!!!! If you've never seen a seizure it is terrifying. I'm so glad he is better now. LOVE Abbey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...