8.18.2008

I'd like to know...


I start teaching Book Design again next week and have been searching for interesting images to show my students. Libby recently posted these typographic tree columns by why not associates. They're being made in collaboration with Gordon Young at Crawley Library (UK) and reminded me of the floors at The Seattle Public Library designed by Ann Hamilton.


Ann Hamilton is definitely an artist I'd like to know! According to the library's website: "The floor mimics the appearance of a raised bed of wooden type and is intended to immerse library visitors in the artwork much as readers are immersed in the material they read...The floor includes 556 lines of text, in reverse, in 11 languages and alphabets, and consists of the first sentences of books found in the collection."
I'd also like to know the folks behind the typographic tree project...I think both projects are pretty amazing.

5 comments:

electropositive said...

that type floor is simply amazing. It's a great example of really nice public art, too.

And by the way, thank you so much for dirty Jesus! Though the question really is, what the heck to do with it...

uncharted said...

The floor and the tree columns are amazing. What great inspiration!

Stephen Tiano said...

So from what angle do you start to teach book design? I'm curious as to how it compares to beginning the actual design of a book.

Do you plan to blog more about teaching book design? If so, I'll add you to my blogroll. I've tried to write some about the process, especially things that might be of concern to beginners.

Feel free to take a gander at my blog at http://www.tianodesign.com/blog.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Jess- you're very welcome!
Stephen- Thanks for stopping by. The course I'm teaching is titled Book Design, but it's actually an artist's book course (and should be re-named). The first project we're doing is about deconstruction (deconstructing their ideas about what a "proper" book should be). I probably won't post much more about teaching- perhaps the occasional image here and there. :)

abovegroundpool said...

I'm an old etcher who also taught book arts, and love these images. When in grad school (oh so long ago!) Ann Hamilton gave me the most insightful critique of my artmaking career. Years later, I was fortunate enough to see both the Seattle Library and her installation at the Venice Biennale. Amazing brain and talent on that woman. Thanks for these images, AO!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...