8.15.2008

Collected...

Sorry for the delayed post...I was sick yesterday and am feeling much better today. So here is yesterday's Collected post today:


Our recent trips to the thrift store have involved me spending a considerable amount of time pawing through stacks of board games. I have to admit that I absolutely can't stand to play board games (cue gasps of horror). PRH's family LOVES them and are all particularly competitive, which occasionally makes for awkward holidays. I prefer my board games to be kept on the wall, enjoying them more for their graphic quality than their ability to insight board-throwing and a little known disease called monopoly-rage. Here are some collections that have inspired my recent search. The image above is from BuddyRooster and both of the images below are from Natalie of arthur's circus fame (be sure to check out her shop here). Don't they look great...when they're not being flung at your head?


6 comments:

electropositive said...

I don't like board games either.

(more gasp!)

and like you, the signifigant other and his family are board game crazy. I determined that it is not the joy of the game, or even the joy of winning, but the joy of making you lose.

But I agree, the vintage boards are nice to look at even when you are being taunted :)

Cheryl said...

Love this idea - I've got an old wooden checkerboard hanging in our house. It isn't huge but you can tell it is handmade. It has a hollow space with a trap door under the board to store the checkers.

And there is a lip that runs the perimeter of the board. It is worn on two sides from where a player might have rested their hand while considering a move. I can't imagine how much this would have had to be played with to achieve such a patina.

Wow, after all of that, I think I might have to do a post on it!

Phil said...

Abbey isn't exactly being 100% honest about her experiences playing board games. She is a compulsive cheater and doesn't enjoy being caught and that is why she doesn't like games. With that said she does have a good eye for well designed boards and has quite an attractive collection going. Ante up for that post!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Jess- you and I can be evil board game haters together! I do like Scrabble though. Cheryl- please do show us! And PRH...I think it's your MOTHER who is the compulsive cheater. Does "give me my 200 dollars, damn it!" ring any bells???? Oh, wait...you've blocked it out. :)

Freshly Found said...

Oh no! I've just found something else I have to start collecting now! I agree about not actually playing the games!

binal said...

Oh such a grreat idea!
I think I'm going to start collect them now:D

In Indonesia, this kind of board games is something that we could buy from street sellers who open their booth in front of schools and lucky me there are THREE public schools in my street! Yay!

Thank you for sharing Abbey!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...