7.03.2008

Collected...


This week's Collected post is more about what I'll call "collections management". EZ E is only one so he doesn't draw much yet, but eventually he will draw a TON and then what will we do with all of his artwork? I saw two really great ideas that I thought I'd share. This also isn't only for parents...if you're like me (please tell me you're not) you may have childhood drawings from siblings, friend's and friend's kids, maybe even from your best friend's siblings (yes, it's true...I'm a sentimental freak show). Here are a couple of ideas for enjoying that art work without stashing it away in some crappy plastic tote in the attic. The bird above is by Lizette Greco and is based on a drawing her son made. I love the idea of reinterpreting your children's art...it's like a mini-collaboration. I saw the image below on Black*Eiffel (which she saw on Design Mom). What a chic way to display all of those drawings without them taking up a huge amount of drawer space. You can read more about it here. It's super expensive, but I'm sure you could scan them in and have them printed at your local Kinko's on the cheap. If you have any other ideas, please share in the comments...we'd all love to hear!

7 comments:

mcsimpson said...

Hi ya, If anyones interested in this, this couple make great toys from your kids drawings!

http://www.lucymoose.com/stuffyourdoodles.htm

enjoy! x

deryik said...

well, something we got from my sister was that, kids are also quite excited about using Paint for "art creation". of course older kids, kinda their first interaction with computers. i kept them saved in a folder and used as desktop background. sounds too digital, but these kiddos are born in a digital world. plus u can put them together more easily :)

Anonymous said...

What great ideas - I especially love the birds. Just wanted to tell you I LOVE your blog and your style and find loads of inspiration here. Thanks for all the work and joy you put into it.
-Marti

Cheryl said...

Both great ideas
Considering that I work with textiles, I've been waiting patiently for SEVEN years for my kiddo to produce something that we could turn into a softie creature but no luck so far.
However the collage idea is fabo. I have already take to scanning and photographing my favorite pieces of her work. She is a prolific paper producer so I have really had to learn to edit and not get too sentimental.
I would recommend compiling in an image layout software - I prefer Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. Then save and send to ImageKind or Shutterfly to print.
What I like about ImageKind is that you can put on a zillion types of paper or canvas to make it look like an art piece. And Shutterfly has always done a great photo printing job for us.
Thanks for sharing Abbey,
C

Jessie said...

I scanned a ton of my children's drawings into my computer and uploaded them to Shutterfly (just like a photo) and had them bound into a book. I really love the mini versions you showed - I'm going to have to look into that!

katherine said...

I love the idea of making a stuffed animal out of a child's drawing. So cute!

I think making one or two is enough. My mom never felt the need to save all my drawings, and I'm glad. We saved one, and it's a nice reminder, and that's all I'll ever need.

sMacThoughts said...

I absolutely love this bird! What a great reminder of being a child and drawing and not worrying about perfection!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...