6.18.2008

Mystery...


Here's something that I find interesting. In our neck of the woods a house could almost be completely falling down, but the pediment will remain elaborately painted. It's a mystery to me why Buffalo has so many fabulous pediments. Was there a master pediment-carver lurking about town? I've been taking photos of them for months (this is just a small sample) and am in awe of the sheer variety of carvings and paint choices. If you're dying to see more pediments, take a look at this site called Buffalo as an Architectural Museum. It's an illustrated architecture dictionary and all of the examples are from buildings in Buffalo! Awesome.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

very cool. and it's a great collection, too - that takes up no space. :>

Vanessa said...

I love details like those! Around here they seemed to die off completely but I do think they are starting to make a comeback!

liz said...

Hi Abbey!

Love your blog, you seem like lots of fun. I live in Brooklyn now but I'm from the Albany area and went to school for two years in Utica, so upstate new york REPRESENT!

hildA said...

lovely details indeed

Abbey Goes Design Scouting said...

I love that you've been taking photos of these for months -- you're a star!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...