6.23.2008

I'd like to know...


Today is Monday, so that means it's time for I'd like to know, a weekly post dedicated to talented artists, designers, musicians, etc...all people I'd like to know and who I thought you may like to know of too. Today I'd like to know...the folks behind the graffiti group Knitta. According to their flickr page: Knitta is currently a group of 5 women and 1 man who spread the love around the world via knit graffiti. I totally love the juxtaposition of graffiti with knitting and had no idea how trendy "tree knitting/wrapping" had become. Did you? Here are just of few other images that I found by artists other than Knitta.

Images above from (clockwise from top left)...
Princess Tat of Tinkle Shed, R H Kamen, Shevralay, heidiNwill, and kbuck2001 and image below from karmakazi_...


Grab your needles and yarn and head to your nearest tree for a little reversible graffiti action. Wooo hooo!

6 comments:

cheryl.andrey said...

There's a tree like this near my house in Cleveland. I don't believe it's this group that created it though. It's been there for about 5 years now and is located just outside of a parking lot of a shopping center. Very odd location, but fun.

JafaBrit's Art said...

The knit knot tree (3rd bottom left) was done by my jafagirl group :)
You can see the slide show of it and our other knit graffiti on:
www.jafagirlart.com

It is a lot of fun and people seem to have really embraced it. I particularly like the lace on the tree, it's gorgeous.

Ele said...

I love knitta! But that bottom photo is 'Linden in Lace' by Janet Morton, here in Toronto. I don't believe she is associated with them.

http://www.ccca.ca/artists/work_detail.html?languagePref=en&mkey=55217&title=Linden+in+Lace&artist=Janet+Morton&link_id=5793

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks, everyone! I fixed the post so it was a bit clearer that not all of the images were done by Knitta. :) Abbey

hildA said...

I totally LOVE this, what a great and fun idea
I think our walnut tree is way too big though

Phil said...

Ab these are awesome! I will have to use these for my 'subversive texture' discussion in my digital imaging class.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...