6.25.2008

Buffalo's bling...


PRH, EZ E, and I spend a lot of time wandering around the city. I'm not sure when I first started noticing, but many of Buffalo's sidewalks are marked with small bronze plaques that indicate which company paved the sidewalk. These are the markers that I've photographed on our walks, but this site has photographed an amazingly diverse collection of plaques here in Buffalo. According to their site: "So far we have identified thirty-seven sidewalk companies (contractors) who used the plates. The plates were used in sidewalks that were built from 1885 to the 1920s according to evidence including dates on the markers and business listings found in the Buffalo City Directories spanning the four decades from 1885 to 1925. The most common plates were found throughout the area and include those of Buffalo Concrete Paving Co., Crescent Pavement Co., Climax Crushed Stone Pavement Co., Buffalo Granolithic Pavement Co., and Electric Paving Co." As of August 2007 these folks have identified 1,837 markers on 248 streets streets! Moral of the story: when you come to visit Buffalo be sure to look down.


6 comments:

karenpeacock said...

Neat! I love small details like this that you can walk by every day for years without noticing.

Eleanor said...

These are really lovely. I like having things to read as I walk! I've also been wanting to go to Buffalo since I feel in love with Anu Difranco... maybe I will be able to one day soon.

Leila said...

"when" we come to visit Buffalo not "if". Perfect! I like your assuredness. It makes me feel compelled and I always like a reason to take a trip! And those plates are a lot of fun. I'm going to start looking for them everywhere I go to see if I notice another city with a lot.

electropositive said...

oh man, I've lived here for how many years and never caught onto those??

amazing! I love your buffalo posts.

poppy said...

hey how cool are these?

Abbey Goes Design Scouting said...

I love your eye for details like this -- amazing. And I love your collections -- so exciting that you found a house. xo Abbey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...