5.19.2008

Snarky...



I've been a complete flake lately. Not being in school has messed up my sense of time. Last night I fell asleep at an ungodly early hour and now here I am writing a post at 4 am. I need to get into a routine...quick! I saw this armoire from Anna James's Verona collection over at Apartment Therapy San Francisco yesterday. It was a Hot or Not post, which ignited a flurry of comments including:

ha, another white hipster doing "graffiti" on furniture, expecting big bucks and thinking they are so radical. it will be perfect in the apartments that look like they are from the 70's and owned by kids that dress like they are from the early 80's."
and..."Just when I thought new furniture couldn't get any crappier...I would say HIDEOUS plus...just take it to the landfill now."
I'm always surprised by the comments people leave on blogs. The AT post was a Hot or Not, so it was certainly an invitation for critical comments, however (and perhaps this will ignite a flurry of critical comments here), what I don't get is why people leave negative comments seemingly just to leave negative comments. Case in point, here are some recent comments about our house on Apartment Therapy:


"OK, I'm not a fan of this. If a piece of art is really art, it deserves to be hung so that it can be appreciated. Clustering, like this, works best with pieces that can't stand on their own. And, in my opinion, this kind of arrangement needs to relate to something in its general vicinity and I'm afraid relating to ceiling just doesn't do it for me. Weird for weird's sake isn't good design. That said -- whatever floats your boat."

"Don't like it. It's too high, and REALLY jammed together unattractively. Besides, from what I can see of the artwork, there's nothing that unifies these pictures (nor do they look very interesting, given the limited view of the actual art). What's the point of having a mob of pictures attack the upper corner of your wall?"

and..."The reason "it's not often we see..." is that thankfully most people have sufficient taste not to plaster their art in a corner at ceiling height. So not a fan of this."

I don't mean to single anyone out (these were the snarkiest comments) and I'm not being totally fair because there were positive comments too. Everyone certainly has a right to their own opinion, but wow!!! When I'm bothered by something I try really hard to ask myself, What should I be learning from this?.  My conclusion in this instance: maybe I just need to develop thicker skin...and better taste.  :)  BTW, I love this armoire. I think this lack of sleep is making me a bit snarky.

19 comments:

thebungalowbabe said...

WOW! That's crazy! I LOVE the way you hung the artwork! I actually called my husband into the office to look at it because I thought it was such a cool idea. He agreed. Some people are just pinchy. Ignore them Abbey, you're place is fantastic. And I also love that armoire!

briannelee said...

I am always surprised by the mean comments left on Apartment Therapy as well. I always believe "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Sure, not everyone has the same taste and people are allowed to have their own opinions, but there is no need to be outright nasty! I also liked this piece of furniture.

Elizabeth said...

People do it because they can. I for one think your space is extremely clever.

Everyone has a style/genre/feeling they drift toward. I think it's silly to bash a style or the people that like it just because it's popular at the moment and not your own (the "70s apts. and 80s dress" sort of comments.)

Kathleen said...

Yeah, I always kind of wonder about people choose to take out what seems like their deepest frustrations on blog postings...I find it a little bizarre, but then I come from more of a constructive criticism school:) To each their own I guess.
I also think perhaps there are people who just don't get it. Not everyone needs to like it of course, but if they aren't familiar with Barry McGee and how he clusters frames, or how Margaret Kilgallen clustered her pieces, they might not see it the same way. Sometimes people are quick to criticize what they don't understand...putting it in "it's place" makes it ok that they don't understand it. But I wonder if it wouldn't be better, before attacking it, to just say, "Abbey, why did you hang your art that way?"

Cheryl said...

Of course art is subjective and sometimes evocative and everyone is entitled to an opinion and all that but snarky just isn't necessary [unless it is coming from you in response to them].

Not that you would want to take the time, but the snarks kind of run a trend if you look at their commentary profiles.

Love your work. Love your blog. Just blaze ahead.

m. heart said...

i too am shocked by the negativity of comments on some blogs. if these same people had to state their opinions in person, they probably wouldn't be as mean-spirited.

i love seeing the range of design ideas on apartment therapy (and elsewhere), and i think your grouping of artwork is fantastic!

sk8ordiehard said...

In an odd connection, I'm realizing just how rude people can be these days. We got a Smart Car not too long ago and people never fail to point, laugh and take pictures, with no consideration of there being a person (ie me and you) involved.

Weird. Weird, weird, weird that people have such closed minds they can't grasp concepts that are nontraditional.

At the same time, I feel like it's a poor reflection on their parents and the way they were raised. Then I think about what a traditional thought that is.

Then my brain explodes from it all.

Nantucket Mermaid said...

I'd say most of those snarkys have not much going on if they have so much time to snark....I agree with Cheryl....BLAZE ON!

electropositive said...

psh,

When it's your own work on exhibit, then you can contemplate that sort of negativity and perhaps better the piece.

but....

It's your own house, and if you like it, then you shouldn't worry. (Anyways, I like it!)

Jen Bradford said...

I should admit, sometimes really good snark is hilarious to me. Better directed at reality television or political satire than Abbey's cool digs, though.

Should I look for "I'd like to know..." sometime in the wee hours? (That is friendly teasing not snark, I promise.)

cookie said...

everyones a critic.
personally i love it.
i understand it.
rock on.
love

Liz said...

I like your place. Very cosy and warm feeling; the type of place that invites one to curl up and read. How lovely.

I wonder what snarky peoples' places look like... hmmm do they put themselves up for critique? If not... totally lame. Mad props for putting yourself out there!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks, everyone. You're all very sweet...and I love that you all knew what I meant by "snarky". XO, Abbey

Arthur's Circus said...

I had the same uneasy feeling after a couple of people dissed photos of our home at Apartment Therapy too. They were negative without really being constructive and just dumb and mean. Much like your comments. People seem to think they can slander other people on blogs (often anonymously), and I wonder whether they would actually say this to our faces in real life. I think we can safely bet 'NO'. It's hard to not take it personally but I think that it reflects more on the sad nature of some folk out there. Not everyone will love what you do, but there's a lot of us who do.

Jen Bradford said...

I just thought of my nephew's line for moments like that: "don't yuck my yum!" It's usually reserved for nose squinches from his brother when he's enjoying steamed clams or another unshared delight, but widely applicable I think...

amy said...

I remember in junior high there was a girl who made rude, unsolicited comments to and about anyone within earshot, and then would try to deflect her 'opinions' by adding, "n-yah, I'm only kidding". Why did she pin that to the end of her snarks? Because her targets were looking right at her. Now, through the internet, people like that can really turn it on, with all this distance and anonymity. And it cost them nothing to go right for the jugular, going beyond design critique to art criticism. But the same old addage works here best--Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

lsaspacey said...

Well, unfortunately, those type of people are all over AT these days. I used to be tied to that site, checking multiple times a day, but now I check maybe once a week and since I scan comments for information from the owners about their spaces I'm pissed whenever I see one of those rude comments.

It literally pains me to know there are people who find that fun. Unfortunately, there ARE people who would say those things to your face and not feel bad about it. Check any so-called "reality" show to see them, they are on national TV, a medium that with YouTube will never die and they still don't care how they come off. It is so sad.

Katey said...

While I'm iffy about the armoire...I mean I like it...it's kind of fun...but I'm not in love with it, but I can say that I LOVE how you hung your art on your wall. You made a design of framed art...that's cool. The people that left mean comments about it are the kind of people that "just don't get it." And they're missing out.

Benita said...

I know what you mean. I've read some pretty nasty comments (on one site in particular) about me and my home and not that I really care that much, it's just really hard to understand why somebody chooses to say such things in a public forum. It just reflects badly on themselves. If there's something I don't like about somebody's place I keep it to myself. I'm sure they're not interested in knowing. They like it and that's what matters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...