5.12.2008

I'd like to know...


Today is Monday, so that means it's time for I'd like to know, a weekly post dedicated to talented artists, designers, musicians, etc...all people I'd like to know and who I thought you may like to know of too. My parents live three and a half hours away and PRH's parents live four and a half hours away (their houses are 45 min from each other). We've been thinking about building a cabin somewhere between our parents' houses not only so we have a place to truly relax when visiting, but also a place that acts as neutral ground where both families will feel welcome to hang out when we're in town. I've started doing some research and found an amazing (and inexpensive) solution. So, this week I'd like to know...architect Paul Stankey and his brother Scott Stankey. Their shipping container cabin was featured in the April/May 2008 issue of ReadyMade magazine and I think it's awesome! It cost $15,000.00 to build (not including land and labor) and is such an inventive structure. A quick search on ebay revealed that used shipping containers are only about $1600.00! Cabin, here we come!

4 comments:

Meg said...

Bob and I have many bookmarks for modular home builders, and some of our favorites use shipping containers. Perhaps if we buy ours all together we'll get a bulk discount!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Lets do that! Ebay really does have affordable containers and I just got a quote from a container company that they'd deliver for $900.00. Not too bad- let me know if you want the name. (you may already have it bookmarked)
xo,
a

poppy said...

mmmmmm...........i'm with you here! and what if these containers were all graffitied up?

cookie said...

i love this!
have seen it done in such amazing ways!!
coming from africa, wich has a massive housing shortage, i always wonder why they dont use this idea..
love to see the progression of this project.
love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...