5.11.2008

Glowing like coals...






We're home...we actually just walked in the door at 11:30 pm. We're all exhausted, but I had to post the photos from the exhibition we saw this weekend at MASS MoCA, an installation called Being Here is Better than Wishing We’d Stayed by The Miss Rockaway Armada. I absolutely love the poetic way they've described what they do:
"We are floating down the Mississippi River on a raft we built from trash. The catch is that we don’t know much about boats or rivers, and we don’t have any money. We know we are blowing crazy hot air, but if the idea makes your eyes glow like coals then you understand what we’re doing."
My eyes were definitely glowing like coals when I saw this installation. According to the MASS MoCA website:
At MASS MoCA the Miss Rockaway Armada will transform the Hunter Center Mezzanine — a place where students and other visitors gather to eat lunch and discuss their museum experiences — into a dynamic, interactive space. Using wood and other materials salvaged from MASS MoCA’s campus, the group will craft an environment that exudes the aesthetic, vision, and essence of The Miss Rockaway Armada’s experiences on the Mississippi River. The idea is to build a new, fantastical environment that inspires a sense of possibility and wonder.
My photos don't do this project any justice, but I'm sure you can tell from the descriptions (and my glowing recommendation to run and see this) that it most certainly was a fantastical space. For more information about their project at MASS MoCA, take a look here. For more information about The Miss Rockaway Armada, click here. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Antlers said...

thanks for posting! i made the typewriter 'story mill' station. did you see the wishes and memories doors by any chance?

Kelly C. said...

wow. amazing.
*

Andy said...

The explanation reminds me of Mark Twain. Really amazing work, I especially like the colorful circle/scallops. Must have been a great experience!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

I did indeed see the wishes and memories doors (I took a ton of photos) and absolutely loved everything. I left feeling so inspired and energized. Thanks for such a beautiful installation!

sichgrrrl said...

yay! thank you so much for this post. it made my day.

it makes my heart sing that you enjoyed the installation so much.. i curated the project (well, actually i just brought miss rockaway to mass moca ...)

cheers!

sarah ahearn bellemare said...

hi abbey-
cannot wait to see this when we head back home to w. mass. next week! thanks so much for the post, mass moca is my favorite place to go! I actually thought it was one of your wall installations when i first saw your photo- i can see why you like it!
thanks for your blog, it's really great! *sarah

sosser said...

my heart was pounding when i saw these pix uploading on your flickr tonight! i had to rush over here to see what it was all about. thanks so much for touring us thru this amazing space. i loved looking at every inch of it!

Ellie said...

this is SO cool! thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...