5.24.2008

Before and after (sort of)...


As promised, here are our most recent projects from around the Aesthetic Outburst house. Our favorite neighbor, Jen, was throwing away this old table. I snagged it off the curb and it's been sitting in our attic for several months. After much nagging, poor (very patient) PRH sawed the table in half and pieced back together a much narrower table. Then he added wheels and a butcher block-ish top and passed it off for me to paint. I'm not crazy about the color (maybe a bit too country for me)...I wanted it to be super glossy orange, but couldn't find any orange enamel in Erie County and finally went with fire engine red.

Bad Abbey didn't take a decent side photo, so the true beauty of this before and after is kind of lost. But that's OK because for my second before and after I forgot to take the damn before picture! You'll just have to close your eyes and imagine this bentwood rocker covered in grimy disgusting itchy cream-colored fabric. PRH ripped off all of that grossness and I re-covered it in a heavy duty chambray denim.  (What is with my taste for all things "country" lately?  Anyone else having this issue???) Doesn't the color combo remind you of Levi's though? Gotta love those Levi's!




The arms are a little scratched, but I'm going to wait to do anything about it until after EZ E stops banging his toys on it. That'll give PRH a bit of a break. Actually, my mom and I were talking today about how much we like to do projects all of the time. I'm convinced that it'll keep our minds young. So, PRH should think of it that way...the busier he is, the better his mind. Ha! Works for me!

6 comments:

quaint handmade said...

they are both wonderful - love that red table and i do "see" levi's in the rocker. i'm dying for chambray pants lately, for some reason.

i'm not too good with the before and after photos. it's more like middle and end. i think i get overly anxious to get started and forget to pull out a camera!

Liz said...

I'm not completely getting the country feel. Perhaps "country inspired" better suits the two beautiful pieces. They turned out wonderfully!

mary said...

That table is awesome! Great job. I loooove re-purposing things.

Ossa said...

That PRH is one handy fellow!

Patrick said...

This is really cool. Where did you get the butcher block top? Did you use some kind of food-safe oil on it? Also, how did you attach the top to the base? Any photos of the underside? Thanks a lot. Great project - very inspirational.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Hi Patrick,
The butcher block top is from Home Depot (the lumber aisle). We sealed it with a food-safe oil (found at a local gourmet grocery store). The base is attached with nails from the underside. I don't have any photos of the underside yet. The wheels were added in order to raise the table up a few inches (it was too low for cutting). Good luck! :)
Abbey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...