4.22.2008

Drumming...




Just taking a very quick break from finishing my massive paper to say, "Happy Earth Day"! I've been obsessed with Earth Day since I was quite young and most likely drove my parents insane with my need to put soda bottles in the toilet tank and snip six packs. When we were about eight or nine years old, my best friend and I spent a considerable amount of our time cleaning up garbage from the side of the road. Sadly, today at school Earth Day was celebrated only by a few annoying hippie kids with some bongo drums. Instead of bongo drums, but still in true celebration of Earth Day, I offer you some lovely images of Surrounded Islands, a project by Christo and Jeanne-Claude. Learn more about this project here. See you tomorrow!

UPDATE: I stand corrected. As reader Ashi pointed out, Earth Day and Surrounded Islands don't go together well at all. Please see comments for more info and thanks for your comment, Ashi!

5 comments:

Ashi said...

I love the piece and Earth Day, but they don't go together so well. The tarps around the islands killed off most of the animals living on them, and a lot of fish and plants as well. Surrounded Islands was, save their piece where they covered a mountainside in a tarp, one of the most environmentally damaging art pieces ever created.

Mim Smith Faro said...

I'm an elementary teacher and I make sure we do something at my school every year. And each year it involves the song "Happy Earthday" by Tom Chapin. If you don't know it, check it. One of my best Earth Day memories is watching a school of 500+ elementary students singing that song. It still makes me cry when I think about it.

HAPPY EARTHDAY!

ps- Love your blog!

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks, Ashi! That's very sad news and I'm disappointed that something so aesthetically lovely could be as environmentally damaging. Shame on me for not being more informed. I've updated the post. Best, Abbey

Eleanor said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't know that. What does Christo say about it? Did they do something in the way of making up for the damage they caused? I prefer their early work, wrapped objects and books http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/early.shtml

Heidi said...

I remember that installation differently from ashi - the manatees loved it and would come and float in the shade underneath it. It was up for about two weeks. It was a woven polypropelene fabric, not plastic, and to get ready, they removed more than 50 tons of garbage from the islands. Miamians liked it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...