I grew up in one of New York state's many rural communities (shout out to O-W-E-G-O!!!) and have a deep love for old barns, farmhouses, and farm buildings. A few years ago PRH and I watched a documentary about a group of artists known as the Barnstormers. According to their website:
 "The Barnstormers are a collective of New York/Tokyo-based artists who create large-scale collaborative paintings, films and performances. The group formed in 1999 after a pilgrimage to the rural town of Cameron, North Carolina. During the trip, twenty-five artists painted dozens of barns, tractor-trailers, shacks and farm equipment. Consequently, the tiny tobacco farming community became the unlikely Mecca for the urban collective. To this day, the Barnstormers continue to interpret and communicate the visual, cultural, and spiritual awakenings inspired by their trips to the south.
The Barnstormers continue to experiment and collaborate, both domestically and internationally, with yearly returns to Cameron to paint new murals.

I really love (and always romanticize) this idea of artists working collaboratively...that, in addition to the whole barn thing, just puts me over the edge. How do I sign up to be a Barnstormer????? Here's a link to one of their amazing projects. Take a look!  You'll want to be a Barnstormer too.

1 comment:

sk8ordiehard said...

How have I never heard of Cameron, NC and it's less than 2 hours from me!?!
My next trip to Raleigh will be a different route, I'm thinking!

What a great idea, thanks for "learnin" me some!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...