2.20.2008

Unmade...


I've sort of started a new project of documenting our bed each morning after we wake up. Most days the bed stays unmade (thanks in part to an episode of Oprah about bed bugs) and some mornings are like this morning where we've had to strip the sheets off during the night because some little person who refuses to sleep in his crib (we won't name any names here) puked the bed (and yes, it was as gross as it sounds). The photos are like daily self-portraits...or family portraits I guess. I came across some lovely pictures of unmade beds on flickr and selected some to share. I only chose photos of unmade beds without cats, which was a difficult task. What's the deal with cats and unmade beds?! For that matter, what's the deal with me and unmade beds?!

(photos in top row, left to right: Dasha Ryaboshapka, everyone face on, Harry+,
photos in bottom row, left to right: omsi28, Sarah Podles, Gemma Mehera
)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Abby,
Thought you might like my friend's drawings of unmade beds (Atlas project). They are in graphite and beautifully abstracted.
http://www.cherithlundin.com/series_grid.jsp?series=atlas
-Paula

sosser said...

oh, man. now i have to know if bedbugs prefer a made or unmade bed... ew.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Ooooo- Paula, thanks for the tip- they're gorgeous! Sandra, they prefer beds that have been made (or at least there are more when the bed is made). YUCK!!!

Jo said...

Funny, I just hung a piece at the gallery... were I documented, with a Polaroid, our bed after I got out in the morning, for 2 weeks. I wrote on the white part of the Polaroid, the time I got up and a general sentiment to my feelings at the moment.
Beds... there is just something about them.
I am posting some images of my installation of the pics next week. you should check it out.

Arthur's Circus said...

cool we never seem to make our beds, now I can have a legitimate excuse....thanks Oprah (and Abby)

mimulus said...

i'm an unmade bed kinda gal myself.. I prefer to think of it as a thorough "airing out".

Michelle C. Moode said...

Abbey, I love you! I love your blog!

I am a sofabed kind of a gal these days, and have been pretty good about keeping up with its day and night transitions.....although if I'm feeling lazy i'll just sleep on it as a sofa.

are you going to SGC?

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Michelle! Thanks so much! No SGC for me this year- but I'll be there in spirit. Rachael will be representing the WNY crew. Have fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...