2.06.2008

Cross section...




My apologies for continuing with the library-love theme again today, but I recently found a book at a thrift store that I loved as a child and was interested in the cross-section of the house in the beginning of the book. Then, as I was going through some of EZ E's picture books (hunting for library cards, of course), I saw the same thing. I really have no idea where I'm going with this, but I just thought that these images were interesting and that this phenomena in picture books was even more interesting. Can you think of any other books where this same thing is happening? The images (from top to bottom) are from: The Apartment Book illustrated by Leo Hartas, Gus Was a Friendly Ghost illustrated by Seymour Fleishman, Life Story illustrated by Virginia Lee Burton, and Joe Kaufman's What Makes it Go? What Makes it Work? What Makes it Fly? What makes it float?.

6 comments:

Marni said...

2 greatest cross sections ever:

Richard Scary's books

Life Aquatic - incredible scene of the cross section of the ship, or was it a submarine.

xiomi said...

hi abbey!
came to your lovely blog via sfgirlbybay. i love these cross sections! funny thing is, when i was little i used to draw houses like the ones in pic #2...maybe thats why i became an interior architect although our dwgs arent as fun as these :)
thanks for sharing these wonderful books! - xiomi

sosser said...

how nice to see so many cross sections! as a child i used to draw these over and over. i still find them comforting. and full of so many stories.

there is a funny take on these in "what's going on in there?" by geoffrey grahn. but two of my favorites are in "the bears' famous invasion of sicily" by dino buzzati, and the brambly hedge books by jill barklem (especially "the secret staircase"). thanks for reminding me.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thanks for the suggestions!

mimulus said...

cross sectiosn are the best! better than birds eye view floorplans...I think kids (of any age) just love seeing how things are put to gether, organized, structured, what goes on behind walls

Ashi said...

I LOVED these as a child. I was almost obsessed with finding them in picture books and would spend hours looking at a page.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...