2.05.2008

Checked out...


When I was quite young I would check out the same book over and over again from the library (Corduroy by Don Freeman). I loved going to the library then and I still love going now. One of the reasons I had a baby was to take him to the library...I'm joking...sort of. Anyways, yesterday I was sorting through some old books and came across this lovely little card stuck in the back. The handwritten names are so awesome and I instantly thought, "Uh oh. This is going to be a new obsession". I was right...I've spent this afternoon rummaging through all of our used books trying to find more library check out cards. Wouldn't they look so great all matted in one frame? Of course, I also found some photos on flickr and thought that this valentine below by HappySongs3 was brilliant! (FYI: she also has a beautiful blog called Simple Song). The rest of the photos below (second from top to bottom) are by: Helen K, dorywithserifs, way opening, and takeabreak. Sending a little library-love your way!





12 comments:

Karen Beth said...

I love finding old library cards in books like these. They are good for so many things, creative inspiration most of all. Your blog is just amazing! So glad to have found it today!

Elizabeth said...

I'm a new reader to your blog and really enjoy it! I love anything library!

jen said...

i love these. bringing me back to elementary school. i miss checking out books from the library.

sub.dio said...

I love library cards. It makes me so sad that nobody's name is in them anymore, was that only an elementary school thing? When did that stop? Now I just stare at the little red date stamps. I get so excited when I am the first one to check out a book, but then I get sad, why am I the first one to check out this book? How long has it been here?

Anyway, love your blog, thanks for the post!

sosser said...

i love these, too. the book is telling you where it's been. i have to go to more library book sales!

i tagged you today (you make my day award). i hope you don't mind :) but, you do make my day!

simplesong said...

thanks for posting a pic of my little library card! i too love the old library cards ...something very charming about them.

you have a lovely blog.

62mockingbirds said...

i LOVED corduroy i was so sad he lost his button

ArtsyMama said...

LOVE this post! I also always loved library cards. I'm a librarian as well. Fun stuff!
Kari

Stefan, Sarah and Lukka said...

love love love these old cards!!

ginny said...

This is funny...about the library cards..when I was a young girl, I used to see who else had read the book. I had favorite borrowers who I always checked out the book IF they had read it. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

Aesthetic Outburst... said...

Thank you all so much! Three cheers for libraries!!!

thealteredpage said...

Libraries, books, and library catalog cards...all wonderful things. And the photo of the card cabinet is a keeper.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...