12.27.2007

Holy smocks...




EZ E and I are visiting family downstate (PRH is home preparing for an exhibition in NYC) and my mom and I are working on some sewing projects for our house today. The bathroom vanity in our house looks disgusting and, because we're renters, I don't want to spend the cash to replace. Our solution is to disguise it a bit with a sort of smocked curtain. I couldn't smock myself out of a bag so I've been researching how to do it and came across these lovely smocked pieces. They're like little works of art for $2.50 each! I think I'd like to just order these and frame them. Scratch that...they may look fabulous, but they're just pictures of the patterns. Damn!

2 comments:

sk8ordiehard said...

Okay, so I thought I was unclear on smocking, so I Google Imaged smocking and found these steps to lattice smocking:
http://www.savvyseams.com/techniques/canadian/2670.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.savvyseams.com/techniques/canadian.php&h=213&w=200&sz=5&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=MT7VJMkxTV1hdM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsmocking%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN
which is much bigger (and therefore maybe easier?).
Plus I realized that's how they made those pillows in the 70s that look braided and always were visually confusing to me.

Annalisa Backlund said...

They're gorgeous - so are the paper moons below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...