9.13.2007

The list...



I had a meeting with one of my professors yesterday (my first, actually) and she asked who my favorites artists are. "Who are you looking at?" was the question and, oddly enough, the only two artists I could think of at the time were Margaret Kilgallen and Barry McGee. I kept thinking (while feeling like a complete moron), "Damn it. I have lists of favorite artists. Why can't I think of anyone else?!". Not only did I have trouble remembering who they were but I also could barely articulate why I liked them. So, I decided to make a giant list of my favorite artists (in no particular order) along with the reasons why they're on my list. I also decided to subject you to my faves in the hopes of becoming better at this whole articulation thing.
So, here it goes...the first person on my big old list (besides M. Kilgallen and B. McGee) is Ellen Gallagher. I think that her use of repetition is interesting and I also am interested in the way she appropriates imagery. Many of my favorites were featured on the Art 21 series, which I highly recommend.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...