5.20.2007

Folksy...



I love these folksy paintings by Esther Pearl Watson. They remind me of a Southern road-trip that PRH and I went on with our friend Tim a few years ago. One of our stops was in Summerville, Georgia where we visited Howard Finster's Paradise Gardens. Initially I was shocked by how uber religious he was, but as we toured through the gardens (getting eaten alive by mosquitoes) I was impressed with just how beautiful they were. Everywhere we looked there were folk art sculptures and paintings...most were totally crazy, but also totally beautiful. I'm not sure what condition the gardens are in now (be warned if you go to the website that it's a little freakish), but I highly recommend visiting. Esther Pearl Watson's work is by no means crazy...it's just that folksy feel that reminds me of Finster.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...